Moving house can be a stressful time – and packing is one of the most tedious parts of it. But before you pack the house up, why not do a “declutter” and get rid of those items you don’t need anymore?
You might think decluttering before packing is pointless, but it can make a huge difference to you, to those in need – and save you money on your house move.
The following guide tells how to declutter before moving and why it makes sense:
The Benefits of Decluttering
- Decluttering will lighten your moving load, and as there will be fewer items to be moved the removals costs will be lower.
- If you’re moving to a smaller property, decluttering beforehand will make your new home look more spacious, and make settling in there easier.
- A major benefit of decluttering before moving house is that it’s a great opportunity to donate items you don’t need to charity and help others in need. How good will that make you feel!?
If you’re moving house for the first time, you may not have decluttered before; here’s a simple guide to get you started:
4 Step Guide to Decluttering
Over the years, you will have accumulated many items throughout the house that you and your family don’t necessarily use or need anymore.
- One room at a time – Try not to take on the whole house at once. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the sheer volume of items you need to sort through. Instead, go through each room one at a time, and set yourself a timetable to get it done so that you stay focused and organised.
- Separate out into “Keep”, “Donate” and “Throw Away” categories – As you go through your items, separate them into ‘keep’, ‘donate’ and ‘throw away’ piles. Of course, donating is the best course of action but some items can get so worn down or damaged that they wouldn’t benefit anyone. A useful way to stay vigilant and sort through your items is to donate anything you haven’t used or thought about in 6 months or more. Of course, certain items will hold sentimental value to you, so it’s not going to be easy.
- Dispose of “Throw Away” stuff responsibly – Stuff that has little value and you want to Throw away, make sure you handle it responsibly. We’d recommend taking it to the local recycling centre or getting your local council to come and take it away. They charge – but the fees are modest. See http://www.recyclenow.com/local-recycling for more information.
- Donate the useable stuff to charity using the Gone for Good app – More valuable stuff that you’d like to donate to charity can be done easily, by making use of the free Gone for Good smartphone app. It’s available on iPhone and Android devices. The app is free and the charities don’t charge.
How Does the App Work?
The Gone for Good app allows you to choose a charity and arrange for your donated items to be collected direct from your house. Gone for Good’s objective is to help the environment and people in need, aiming to divert 6% of the saleable furniture, clothing and other stuff that ends up in landfill, to charity
If this is achieved, not only will this double charity shops’ incomes and help their causes, but it will increase their stock which will help people who need charity shops for clothing, furniture and other items.
Using the Gone for Good app is simple. Just take a photo of the items you want to donate using your smart phone, enter the address where the items are located and app will give you a list of the charities that will collect them from your door. Tap on the one you’d like to donate it to. The chosen charity will then get in touch to arrange a pick-up.
Make sure you give the charity enough notice. We’d suggest doing this at least a couple of weeks before you have to move house.
Like this guide?
Here’s another one that will help relieve a bit of stress with our Moving To Do’s Printable!
If you have children… you might also be interested in the 6 Benefits of Decluttering with Children post – it’s a great activity for a rainy day!
Moving stuff to your new house?
When you finish decluttering, you’re ready to start packing up and hiring a removal company. You need to let them know your exact requirements so they can give you an accurate quote. Tell them how many rooms are in the house and how many boxes need to moved, as well as any access issues.
If you are looking for a removal company, www.comparemymove.com have a network of reputable companies. You will receive six free quotes, for removals in London, Cardiff, Bristol and the rest of the UK, as well potentially saving up to 70% on your moving costs.