Lady standing on scales

Have you tried and failed to lose weight? Is this the umpteenth year in a row that you’ve made a resolution to shed some pounds? Or, maybe it’s summertime and you’re trying to slim down before going on holiday.

A 2016 survey found that 26.2% of adults in England are obese and a further 35.2% are overweight, making a total of 61.4% who are either overweight or obese. With 95% of diets ending in failure maybe it’s time to approach weight loss from a different angle. Clearing clutter can help improve your health but did you know that it can actually help with weight loss too? If this sounds a bit far-fetched you might be surprised to learn that it’s actually backed by research. This post examines how our environment can influence our food intake and what we can do to make positive changes.

Why does clutter cause us to put on weight?

Living in a cluttered and messy home can be stressful. It can feel like it’s impossible to relax because you’re constantly trying to catch up, organise and declutter. As a result, this can lead to feelings of overwhelm which may encourage you to overeat or to eat unhealthy food. Sweet treats make us feel better. However, those feelings are only short-lived. In 2016, a study found that “stressful and chaotic food environments” influence people to reach for high-calorie snacks. Professional organiser, Peter Walsh, author of ‘Lose the Clutter, Lose the Weight’, says that people with cluttered homes are 77% likely to be overweight or obese.

Mess causes stress. Stress alters the way that fat is deposited in our bodies. When our bodies are under chronic stress, betatrophin is produced. This is a protein that blocks an enzyme that breaks down body fat. (BBA Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids February 2016: 1861(2); 130-137)

What can we do about it?

If the science adds up, then the obvious answer is to clear out all your clutter. However, depending on the state of your house, just the thought of this could send you straight to the biscuit tin. So, don’t panic, we’ve got a few tips to help you go about it in a manageable way.

Please read this post for more details:

Clear out your clutter today!

As we mentioned, at the top of this article, decluttering can be beneficial in other ways. If you’re interested in learning more, our blog post, How to declutter your way to good health, gives 5 other examples of how decluttering is good for your health.

Good luck with the challenge, we’d love to hear how you get on.